Friday, April 16, 2010

National Gallery

Got banking straightened out this am.  Decided to do the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery.  It seems people here are still on Easter holiday so things were packed. It was nice to revisit the National Gallery and spend some time really looking at painting I've enjoyed in the past.  In one gallery I came across a group of people, mainly senior citizens, for whom they had set up little stools in from of a painting and they were all drawing.  Actually noticed quite a few people around drawing.  Reminded my of the time my niece, Denise, spent in the museums in New York when she was in fashion school.



Then went next do to the National Protrait Gallery.  Especially enjoyed the painting of Albert and Victoria and the present generation of royals.

Just picked a street and headed out,  was looking for a place for lunch, but they were packed.  So then I just started keeping an eye out for an underground station.  Next thing I know I turn the corner and there is Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, big as day. 




I headed back, since I hadn't found lunch and thought I would go out for a late supper.  Instead about 3 pm I grabbed a sandwich and went back to the hotel room.  Was think of going out now, but 8 pm is a little late to be eating, so I won't bother.

Tomorrow I think I will do one last slow cruise of Portobello road. And maybe look for somewhere to have proper english tea which I haven't done so far.

Cheers!