The first time I sent to New York a few years ago we visited the "Garage flea market" in Manhattan. So it was a stop again this time. Denise and I sent to the flea. I found a couple of treasures. One was a ribbon from the AKC Carroll Kennel Club show that I'm adding to a picture of a dog that I picked up at an estate sale. We looked through both floor of the flea and then headed over to City Quilter which is across the street and just down a little bit.
We spent quite a bit of time at the quilt shop. I found some good NYC fabrics and a cute quilters newspaper fabric to share with my variable star friends. Denise found some cute bicycle fabric as well. She and Jason bicycle quite a bit.
They have added a gallery next to the city quilter where they display artists quilts. They had a very nice display of Deb Hyde quilts. (www.cityquilter.com)
By then is was almost lunch time, so we decided to go to our favorite tea shop, Tea and Sympathy.
We had a great lunch and then caught up with Jason who has to go into work for a little while to take care of a problem.
I had told them that there was an exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum called "Workt by Hand"; Hidden Labor and Historical Quilts. There had quite a number of beautiful quilts on display. I had ordered the show catalog a couple months before.
While there we discovered there was also an exhibit of John Singer Sargent Watercolors on display. So we enjoyed those as well.
We also walked through a display by El Anatsui http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/el_anatsui/. Denise found this display particulary inspiring. It was amazing what he did with metal pop bottle tops and metal cans and twist ties. We took the subway back to their neighborhood and stopped by Basil a very good local restaurant for supper.
The chickens won............
6 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment