Started sewing on the quilts for Darryl and Mike. Something I'm doing now to keep more organized is I cut the entire quilt out and put it in a box. I used to cut as I went because the cutting was so tough on my neck and my carpel tunnel. But now I'm trying to cut it all. For the pattern I make a color copy of the quilt and instructions and then have it laminated. This quilt is from the January/February 2010 issue of McCall's Quilting and was designed by Kim Brackett. I'm doing it scrappy but it would work great with a jelly roll.
By having it laminated I have an easier time keeping track of the pattern, and when the quilt is completed I can punch the pages and put it in the binder where I keep the information on each quilt that I make. My grandmother and mother never documented their quilts. Both have made many, many quilts, but I don't think anyone other than me has documented any of them. I try to fill out all the pertinent information, who made it, who was it made for, where, when, I made include scraps of the fabric, the cost of fabric and the story behind why it was made.
In 1987 I volunteered at Michigan State University Museum with the Michigan Quilt Project. I always feel bad that so many women get no credit for the beautiful things they made. So I try to document all the quilts that I make. I also make sure now that any quilt my mother makes are at least labeled.
The chickens won............
7 hours ago

1 comment:
Post a Comment