Monday, August 7, 2017

Split, Croatia

Overnight we sailed across the Adriatic Sea toward Split, Croatia.  We will be here from about noon and all aboard at 7:30 pm.  It has been an adjustment to get comfortable with the heat here.  Today it was about 88°.  After all the walking in Venice I was going to take it easy today.  I know some people were excited as I think some of King of Thrones is filmed in Croatia.  Excursions were the first to leave at noon.  We non-excursioners left at 12:30. It was quite a long walk from where the ship was docked to get to the tourist area.  






There were Roman ruins to visit and interesting city in general.




I kept bumping into a couple of quilters who I recognized from the ship so we kind of followed the same paths.  Stopped in tourist info to get a map. We walked around looking at a lot of the Roman building in the Old Town district.  Of course, because of the temps we had to try some gelato.  Yummm!






I also stepped into a church while walking.  I am still amazed  at the number of different marbles that are used in these churches.  It was also this was in Ireland 2 years ago.  The variety is staggering. It will be interesting to see if it is like this in Rome.







Every day when we are on board the waiters from the specialty restaurants like Chops, Sushi, Giovanni’s Table would come around offering discounts on meals at these restaurants where are paid separately.  Generally the cost started at $60 and up.  A waiter approached Deborah and I the day before, and offered a 3 course meal for $35, which we thought was more reasonable.  So we are having steak tonight at Chops. We also had a bottle of wine, our splurge.  Since we were neither big drinkers, they hold the rest of the bottle and then we can have it another night in the formal dining room.

No comments: