Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Retirement musings

On tough days at work one can hardly resist the urge to dream about retirement.  Last week we found out they have again changed a system here at work.  I found myself right away saying to myself that I'm not willing to learn one more new computer program and just as soon retire.  Boy, I just sounded like some of the old cops I worked with.  But it does get hard when you just get comfortable with a system and they decide to change it.  Lack of training also adds to our aggravation.

But retirement is certainly closer now that it has ever been.  At the most I hope it will just 4 years, and I'm sure that time will really fly.  So I have been thinking of what I want to do with my retirement time.  I want to still stay involved and around people a good amount of time.  I have started a list of possible retirement activities.

Number one on the list would be to devote more time to sewing and quilting.  I would like to get involved in making quilts of valor for veterans. And donation quilts for other charities like our guilds heartwarmer quilts or quilts for the local homeless shelter.  Since the problem with my hands has not gotten any better I have thought about getting a quilting machine or atleast getting proficient at using my regular sewing machine to machine quilt.

Other possibilities are volunteering at Hospice again.  I did this for a few years a while back and would consider it again; volunteering at the local humane society (no I won't turn into the cat lady or dog ladies, allergies you know).  Maybe working at one of the local antique malls. I still have time to think and research.  Getting ready to head to South Carolina next week to visit my mom's sister Pat.  Should be a good time.

PS.  Last night in talking to my mom, we came to the realization that now, all of her children are over the age of 50 and all of her grandkids are over the age of 25!! Where has the time gone??

No comments: