Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Little Things

When I was in high school I had a teacher who really pushed us to be aware, to notice the world around us, to sit up and pay attention.  I think I always have been a keen observer, at least of my surroundings.  I always notice the first crocuses in the spring, when the trees start to bud, that first morning after a rain in the spring when everything has a green hue about it.  I enjoy noticing these things.  These are some of the iittle things I noticed on my trip.

These were some different flower I noticed while in England.  Still have to do some research as I haven't quite figured out what they all might be.



And the trees reminded me of a series of quilts I had seen at the Chicago International Quilt show in 2008 that showed trees from this perspective throughout the year.  Another idea for a quilt!  I also got ideas for quilts from the French countryside as I came back from my day trip to Paris.  Trees on the hillside, outline against the dusk sky looked like a row of lollipops.

And there were other inspirations like all the different tile patterns I came across.  Some were on what I would call a front porch, some on the floors in the halls of the Victoria & Albert Museum and some in tiles that adorned the outside of churches.




Just 2 more observations.  Where else but in England could you go to the park and a wonderful Saturday afternoon and watch bowmen practicing their sport.

 

This construction walkway was on Bayswater across from Hyde Park.  On the first Sunday I noticed the interesting treatment they have given the top of the pedestrian walk way.  Covered with books, pencils, and boxes of crayons.


It was only on the following Sunday and I looked again and realized the what was behind the pencils, etc. was a tarp that was painted to look like a velvet curtain and the entire facade of the building being worked on.  Sometimes it takes me a while but I guess that speaks to the great job that the company did that made the tarps!


And last but not least, a shot of Great Aunt Jackie's "lady truck".



Good night!